HOW TO AVOID EIGHT MAIN WASTE IN LEAN PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT AND DESIGN AND PROJECT COMMISSIONING PROCESSES?
"I will share with you, in a three-part series, the benefits of lean product development and the advantages it provides. You will be able to follow information on identifying the eight main wastes in the design and project launch processes with lean product development, producing solutions for these wastes, making improvements, and how standardization can be achieved in product-design-engineering studies.
The subject of this section will be wastes and the determination of waste.
"URGE process or project launch processes are among the most important processes of companies. Nowadays, companies are very close to each other in terms of efficiency in production processes and production costs in competition.
- "One of the key elements that will give companies an edge over their competitors from now on is the power and speed of their new product development functions."
- Although the title is about new product development, in the dozens of studies we have conducted in project-based companies, we have seen that the project launch processes in these companies are very parallel with the URGE processes.
- For example, the time period from signing the contract of an order received by a special machine manufacturer or a steel construction company until starting production is the "Project launch process".
While the number and content of the steps in a new product development process in mass production companies may not be exactly the same, in many ways, it is parallel to the project launch process.
- Therefore, there is no harm in project-based companies tracking their project management and design processes in this article by equating them with the concept of new product development.
- Because in this article series, the focus is not on the detailed steps of the URGE process, but rather on approaching URGE processes with a lean philosophy.
As it is well known, fundamental customer expectations such as "high quality, low cost, and fast delivery" are increasing day by day.
(Purchasing and supply chain processes are not emphasized separately as they are part of the new product development process.)
The concept of Lean Manufacturing has been known and applied for many years both in the world and in Turkey. It is one of the most effective business systems that minimize waste in production, reduce costs, accelerate delivery, and improve quality.
Indeed, the application of lean principles in product development and project implementation processes can have significant benefits in terms of reducing waste, improving quality, and speeding up delivery. It is high time that these principles are widely adopted in these crucial processes, which have a major impact on all three factors - quality, cost, and delivery.
The purpose of this series of articles is to ensure that they maintain their dominance over this data.
In this context, first of all, 8 wastes in product development and how they are perceived are explained with examples in the table below.
- Progim Lean Transformation and Software Company General Manager
- Engin Eroğlu
- He shares his experiences gained in his 26 years of business life, especially for businesses that have difficulties in design and project commissioning processes.